Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pseudo-Ramen

Sorry still no cookies. I actually went to the grocery store and forgot my list for the recipe. *sigh* I made another trip though, so here should be a cookie post in the next couple of days.

For my cooking lovers I offer something different.
Last week there were no family dinner plans, so I went through the fridge and pantry to see what I could whip up. I'd always wanted to try to cook a simplified version of authentic, not instant, ramen (google pictures of it if you've don't know anything about it).  I was successful in scrounging up some usable ingredients.

My dinner:



Please excuse my lack of measurements. I eye-balled as I cooked and used my personal taste. This is also my first recipe with no base recipe used, so I'm not really sure how to explain everything in the best, easiest to understand manner.

Ingredients: Recipe made 5 servings - honestly, it depends on how much you eat in one serving though
3 cups beef broth
about 1 lb of beef (I had stir fry quality beef on hand)
2 packs of instant ramen noodles (don't need seasoning packs)
Soy Sauce
Garlic, minced
White mushrooms
Canola oil
Frozen green peas, cooked
Canned baby corn
Nori (dried seaweed), cut into pieces
Imitation crab meat strips, cut into small strips
salt
white pepper
ground ginger
minced dried onion

1) Boil water for ramen in a sauce pan (size depends on how much you are making)
2) In large pot, heat oil over medium heat
3) Add garlic, about 1.5 teaspoons or to your taste preference, and small package of pre-sliced mushrooms
4) Saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms are cooked - soft and a golden color
5) In skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat.
6) Add beef, cook until done (depending on how you like your beef). Set beef aside.
7) Optional: Save beef juice for broth
5) Add beef broth to pot w/ garlic and mushrooms, let it simmer
6) Add about 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 tsp minced dried onion, salt and pepper to taste
7) Mix in the spices, add about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
8) Optional: stir in beef juice
9) Stir and keep on low-medium heat
8) Water should be boiling, add instant ramen noodles and follow cooking time instructions on the package.
9) After noodle cook, DO NOT add the seasoning packets. Drain the noodles. Set aside.
10) Take broth off heat. Serve ramen.

Serving:
I put all the vegetable and protein (crab and beef) on top like ramen you see in pictures. This also helped feed everyone, since my family all like different veggies and toppings.
NOTE: Toppings can be added and subtracted based on what you like.

In a bowl I put in noodles, then poured over broth (with mushrooms) until noodles were about 3/4 covered. On top I put slices of beef, crab, corn, peas, and seaweed in sections on top.

I hope that was at least partially decipherable.

2 comments:

  1. This is what you call "whipping" something up?!? OMg, I would have stopped at the ramen noodle package and that would have been dinner! LOL
    That looks so yummy though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy :)

    If you're interested James is now a master of whipping up asian noodle-y dishes so I can always nab his recipes (of the eyeball variety) for you to try. Let me know.

    Your picture very much reminds me of the movie Tampopo, have you seen it? there's a scene in there where they teach how to eat ramen properly (thanking the broth, dunking the pork 3 times etc lol).

    ReplyDelete